Designer Profile: Michael Verheyden
Posted on August 07 2014
Michael Verheyden Answers Our Q&A:
- Tell us about your background, how did you get into product design?
- When I was 18 I wanted to be a designer, but I had no clue about the design or fashion world. I studied industrial design, and wanted to switch to fashion design, which I didn’t. But I graduated with a small collection of men’s clothes.
- What made you decide to focus on metal and marble specifically?
- I only want to use precious, natural materials, because I want to make things that last. Natural materials age beautiful in time. We also use a lot of leather, wood and now also crystal.
- We are obsessed with the potte luxe vase, can you tell us the background on this product?
- The “potte” vase was one of the first objects I’ve designed for this collection. It’s the only vase you need! I very much like rituals; you can create your own by using the vase. When the three parts are on top of one another you can put a branch in it. By removing the ring, you can put a bouquet with long stems. When you put the two top parts next to the bottom vase, they become an object and you can put a bouquet with short stems in the bottom part. The original version in completely out of marble. The luxury version is a combination of marble, massive wood and bronze.
- Where do you produce your product?
- We work with craftsmen in Belgium, Italy, Morocco and India. We try to make most objects locally, some even in our own workshop. But for some materials and specific crafts we have to travel further. I try to build a personal relationship with all our partners because I respect their knowledge and the effort they put in making things for us.
- What inspires you/ where do you find inspiration?
- The people around me, especially my wife + I also like to go to Paris to get inspired.
- Who is your favorite furniture designer/Period?
- Rick Owens
- Where did you go on vacation last?
- To Spain, but I’m looking forward to go to NY this autumn!
- When you are not working you are….?
- Playing guitar, reading the newspaper, looking outside, playing with my cat,…
- What are you obsessed with at the moment?
- My leather jacket
- What’s you’re favorite quote?
- Trust is good, control is better!
- Favorite food?
- Steak tartare
- Bath or shower?
- Do you cook?
- The first thing I do in the morning is…
- Make cappuccino
- What are you presently reading?
- “les cahiers du musée Berbère” by the fondation Jardin Majorelle (Fondation Yves Saint Laurent/Pierre Bergé)
- What three things would you take to a desert island?
- My guitar, a knife, my sketchbook
- Favorite cocktail?
- Japanese Sour
- Do you have a most favorite piece of furniture in your home?
- My “point” side table to put my glass on in an elegant way