Designer Profile: Apparatus
Posted on February 26 2015
Apparatus, Answers Our Q&A:
- Tell us about your background, how did you get into lighting design?
- When Jeremy and I moved in together in 2009 we redecorated the apartment and found that we couldn’t find the light fixtures we wanted to live with. So we made them. I had previously worked primarily in womenswear, first designing with a line called JMary that made one of a kind pieces for Maxfield, and then for Raquel Allegra. Jeremy was in PR and had the opportunity to move us to NY, so we took a leap of faith not knowing where I would end up. Three years later we have a team of 20 and a beautiful design studio in Manhattan. It has been a whirlwind.
- What made you decide to move into the world of tabletop and incense censers?
- This was a natural progression that was informed by the materials we work with. We wanted to make objects that people interact with on a daily basis- a reason to touch the brass, leather and porcelain that have become our signature materials.
- We are obsessed with the candle blocks, can you tell us the background on this product?
- These are our favorite new pieces as well. They are inspired by machinist tools that we use in our metal shop. The weight of them is very substantial, and there is something about knowing they’re connected only by these little tiny grooves in the metal that feels a little magical.
- Your product is always beautifully presented, how important are the “little details” to you
- The details are everything. We strive to create a memorable tactile experience which includes conversations about how to pack a fixture, how you should feel when you open the box, etc. Its about clearly conveying that the pieces pass through many caring hands before they reach a client.
- Where do you produce your product?
- We work with a worldwide community of artisans who create the components for our fixtures. Everything is then hand-finished and assembled in our studio in Manhattan.
- What inspires you/ where do you find inspiration?
- I know this sounds like an easy answer, but inspiration is wherever you look for it. I don’t really have a set place to look, but its about being in a state of mind that allows me to see things as inspiring. I often find that bursts of ideas hit me when I’m on a plane with my sketchbook. There is something about knowing that I have no choice but to sit that clears my head and lets me follow the ideas.
- Where did you go on vacation last?
- India. Jaipur and Udaipur. It was incredibly inspiring.
- When you are not working you are….?
- Thinking about working.
- What are you obsessed with at the moment?
- The color Nude.
- What’s you’re favorite quote?
- “Changing your body is so much more hardcore than changing your clothes.” –Rick Owens.
- Favorite food?
- A salad with some kind of protein is always my go to. It’s actually a craving and not something I feel limited to.
- Bath or shower?
- Definitely shower.
- The first thing I do in the morning is….
- Drink a glass of warm water.
- What are you presently reading?
- A biography of Alan Turing.
- Do you have a most favorite piece of furniture in your home?
- We made a monolithic marble dining table that we’re really excited about. First baby steps into adding furniture to our collection.
- Favorite cocktail?
- Dirty martini, three olives.